.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Monday, July 09, 2012

ERNEST BORGNINE?

Ernest BorgnineERNEST BORGNINE (1917-2012) born Ermes Effron Borgnino is someone everyone should know.

"Ernest Borgnine is Really Good!"

By the time I was born, practically everyone in 1960 owned a TV. Unlike my parents who had experienced television as a new invention, watching their first shows from hardware store windows, I had never had to dream of owning a television set. A color TV, however, now that was something that I had to wait clear to into the 1970s for my parents to own. Shortly after that, I began seeing more than one set in each of my friend's homes. I'll never forget the thrill I had with one friend watching "McHale's Navy" after school in her kitchen. We were actually eating an after school snack and watching Ernest Borgnine at the same time.  Now, that truly was living.

I watched "McHale's Navy" in reruns. I missed the show's first run from 1962 to 1966 and it was just as well.  That would have meant waiting an entire week for the next episode, instead of experiencing the show five days a week. I liked "McHale's Navy" because of Ernest Borgnine.  He seemed like such a nice guy. He played the very likeable Lt. Cmdr. Quinton McHale. "McHale's Navy" was a very funny show. I didn't know until much later that Ernest Borgnine was a movie actor as well. It was my twelfth birthday when I went to see The Poseidon Adventure with my girlfriends that I first saw him in a movie. He was wonderful. It was so cool seeing him play someone else. How I cried when he lost his wife in the film! Later, I saw him in a James Stewart film and then, one with Burt Lancaster. He was in a lot of films and he wasn't always nice. How I hated him in From Here to Eternity!

"That means he's really good," my mother said. How true it was! It wasn't until much, much later, I finally saw him in Marty that I realized what a truly fine actor Ernest Borgnine was. I hope you'll check him out. You really should know who he is. ~ClassicLiz



Marty


Haven't you seen Marty (1955)? Ernest Borgnine plays Marty Piletti. This is a wonderful story.

Watch this and then see these other four films.



From Here to Eternity (1953) Here he plays that creep, Sgt. James R. 'Fatso' Judson. This film also has a fine performance by Frank Sinatra worth seeing.
McHale's Navy (1964) There's were a couple of "McHale's Navy" films. You can see that character here or rent the show now available on DVD.
The Poseidon Adventure (1972) Ernest Borgnine offers a strong performance in this disaster blockbuster of the 1970s.
The Wild Bunch (1965) Here is a western to balance things out. He plays Dutch Engstrom, someone I wouldn't want to tangle with, let alone know. Gosh he's good!


*Recommendations contributed by: "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph " Date: Wed, Jan 2 2008 / 06:51:45 PST
"Ernest Borgnine is Really Good!" contributed by: ClassicLiz /  "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph" Date: Wed, Jan 2 2008 / 06:51:45 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1956 Won Best Actor in a Leading Role: MARTY (1955)

0 Comments: