.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Classically Speaking:
Promoting Classic Movies in a Jaded World!

Monday, August 25, 2014

BARBARA STANWYCK?

Barbara StanwyckBARBARA STANWYCK (1907-1990), born Ruby Catherine Stevens

"It's Barbara Stanwyck, For Heaven's Sake!"

It was a next door neighbor woman, with a couple of girls my age, that first introduced me to Barbara Stanwyck. I sat in her family room one afternoon, waiting for her girls to get home, as Mrs. Perkins did her ironing. On her television came some show that I'd never seen before. "The Big Valley," I read aloud. "I've never seen this show."

Mrs. Perkins was horrified. "You haven't seen "The Big Valley"! Why, it's got Barbara Stanwyck in it, for heaven's sake! She's my favorite actress of all time." I kept my mouth shut about not knowing who Barbara Stanwyck was. But, there was no mistaking which one she was. The moment that I saw that strong character Victoria Barkley, I was hooked, not just on the show, but on Barbara Stanwyck. I scanned TV Guide every week, looking for her name under each movie heading.  Then, I watched every movie she was in that I could find airing at a decent hour. To this day, I share the same love for Barbara Stanwyck that Mrs. Perkins had. Plus, I share the same indignation she had, when I learn someone doesn't know who Barbara Stanwyck is.

By the time I'd graduated high school, I had seen Barbara Stanwyck in over a dozen films, all of which became dear favorites. I also watched her in other hit television shows, such as "Dynasty", "The Colbys", and the miniseries "The Thornbirds". Now, not a Christmas goes by that I don't watch Barbara Stanwyck in Christmas in Connecticut. She is a marvelous actress that everyone should know. ~ClassicLiz


Double Indemnity (1944)Haven't you seen Double Indemnity (1944)? She invented the cold manipulative bi--- (rhymes with witch) role with that one and people are still emulating her - body heat for instance.

Watch this and then see these other four films.


The Great Man's Lady (1942) Tough to find but worth it. The ultimate Stanwyck, stronger than the male type role.
The Lady Eve (1941) Stanwyck actually having some fun as a con artist who tries to fleece Henry Fonda.
Ball of Fire (1941) Another fun one this time with Gary Cooper. How can you go wrong?
The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers (1946) Another manipulative role that she played so well, luring men to their doom.


*Recommendations contributed by: "Wendell Price" Date: Wed, May 16 2001 / 22:17:08 PST

"It's Barbara Stanwyck, For Heaven's Sake!" contributed by: ClassicLiz / "Elizabeth Van Cleve Randolph" Date: Mon, Jan 11 2010 / 08:31:08 PST

Academy Awards®
© A.M.P.A.S.®
1937 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role: STELLA DALLAS
1941 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role: BALL OF FIRE
1944 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role: DOUBLE INDEMNITY
1948 Nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role: SORRY, WRONG NUMBER
1981 Honorary and Other Awards: For superlative creativity and unique contribution to the art of screen acting. Winner presented a Statuette.

1 Comments: